Pork belly with a balsamic glaze
This easy recipe is bound to become a family favourite. You don’t need much more than a green salad, figs and baby potatoes on the side.
You need (for 6 – 8 kebabs):
- 1 kg skinless pork belly, cubed
- 6 – 8 wooden skewers
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Thread the meat cubes onto a skewer with the fatty side facing up. Put the kebabs in an oven-proof dish.
- Combine the sugar and the boiling water, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the other ingredients and pour the mixture over the kebabs.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 160 °C.
- Remove the foil and bake the kebabs for 1 hour at 180 °C. Or braai the kebabs over medium-hot coals and brush often with the glaze. Serve with a leafy salad and black figs that have been halved and quickly heated in a pan with a little butter and balsamic vinegar.