Makes 1 large pie
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 – 30 minutes
You can use store-bought rotisserie chicken, or simmer the thighs in wine for lots of flavour.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 250 g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 – 3 cups shredded chicken (precooked or roasted)
- 1 cube chicken stock, dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 roll puff pastry dough, thawed
- Melt the butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms and sage for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chicken, chicken stock and cream, and stir gently. Flavour with salt and pepper. Add water if necessary. If it’s too runny, simmer the mixture until most of the liquid has evaporated. Keep in mind that it will also dry out during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC. Ladle the mixture into an ovenproof dish and cover with the puff pastry dough. Brush the dough with milk or egg to give it a glossy sheen, and remove excess dough around the edges.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.