Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
If you have some leftover tomato smoor or tomato sauce, this recipe is the perfect solution. You can cook the eggs in a large pan or in four tin mugs.
- 2-4 eggs
- 1 – 2 cups tomato smoor, pasta sauce, or canned chakalaka
- Herbs, to serve
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Toast, to serve
- Pour the smoor or sauce into the tin mugs (or a pan). Break an egg into each cup.
- Put the mugs in a deep pan and place the pan on the braai grid. Pour boiling water into the pan until the mugs are immersed about halfway. Remove from the coals when the sauce starts to bubble and the egg whites congeal.
- You can also prepare this dish in the oven. Preheat the oven to 160ºC and cook the eggs for 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs and parmesan over the egg. Serve with sliced toast to dip into the mugs.