Bacon and chilli scrambled eggs
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
This breakfast dish is a lifesaver after a night of overindulgence. Use the best chilli preserve you can find!
- 4 slices of pot bread or roosterkoek
- 8 eggs
- 200 ml cream
- 4 tablespoons chilli preserve or sweet chilli sauce
- Tabasco sauce or fresh chilli, to taste
- 4-8 strips of bacon, fried (or Parma ham)
- Braai the bread on a grid over hot coals (or use a toaster).
- Mix the eggs and cream together with a fork and season with salt. Put a lump of butter into a pan over medium-hot coals and add the eggs. Stir with a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat when most of the eggs turn a cloudy yellow, but keep stirring. The eggs will continue to cook on their own.
- You can also prepare this dish in a microwave oven: Cook the mixture for 1 minute. Use a fork to scramble the eggs. Cook for another minute. Stir the eggs and set aside for a few minutes. Keep in mind that the eggs will continue to cook after you’ve removed them from the oven. If they’re still not cooked to your liking, you can nuke them for an additional 10 seconds.
- Spread butter and chilli preserve on toast and add Tabasco to taste. Add bacon or ham and scoop on some scrambled egg. Add some black pepper and rocket ˗ perfection!