Sweet chilli prawns
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
I usually use cleaned, precooked prawns, but buy fresh prawns for an authentic Singapore taste. It will be messy, but delicious.
- 2 packs of instant noodles
- 16-20 prawns
- 2 teaspoons Maizena
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 5 cm fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 red chilli peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or tomato jam
- Small scoop of fresh coriander, chopped
- Soya sauce or salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper
- 1 lime or lemon, sliced
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet, but do not use the flavouring. Drain the noodles and measure all the ingredients. If you are using fresh prawns, defrost and devein the prawns.
- Mix the Maizena with a tablespoon of water until you have a thick paste.
- Fry the garlic and all the herbs (except the coriander) in oil. If your prawns are raw, add them to the pan and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet chilli sauce, tomato juice and honey. Bring to a boil and add the Maizena paste. Stir until the mixture thickens. If you’re using precooked prawns, add them now.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle on the coriander. Season with soya sauce or salt and pepper. Serve the prawns with instant noodles and sliced limes.