For 2 breads
Honey buns are best served fresh from the oven with cinnamon butter or Marmite. For breakfast, add fried bacon and a slice of gouda.
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2/3 cups coconut milk, lukewarm
- 3 bananas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- 2 handfuls of almond shivers (optional)
- extra honey
- Mix the yeast and honey with the coconut milk and set aside until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Pulse the bananas in a food processor. If necessary, add water until you have 170 ml of fluid.
- Combine the egg, butter, salt and flour with an electric mixer (you can also do it by hand). Add the yeast and banana pulp and mix everything together. If it’s too thick, add water. Mix for 10 minutes or knead by hand on a flat surface until soft and elastic. The dough must be easy to handle and shouldn’t stick to your hands.
- Spread butter or olive oil over the dough and put in a warm place to double in size.
- Knock the dough down and slice in two. Divide each piece into 9 to 12 balls. Pack the balls in two greased oven pans and sprinkle on the almond shivers and honey.
- Let the dough rise for 30 minutes and then bake for 20 minutes at 200°C. Serve hot.
- To prepare over the campfire. Divide each piece into 16 balls and pack it in two layers in a greased flat-bottomed pot. Let the dough rise until the pot is almost full. Bake over medium-hot coals for 30˗40 minutes.