For 12 slices
Preparation 20 minutes
Baking time 25 minutes
Serve this bread with a salad or a pot of soup for a flop-proof meal.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup powdered biltong
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ cup buttermilk (or yogurt)
- ½ cup onion marmalade
- 1 cup grated cheddar or feta cheese (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 ºC. Combine the flour, biltong and paprika. In another bowl, combine the bicarbonate of soda and buttermilk and then add this mixture to the flour. Mix well until a soft dough forms.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough in a rectangle that’s about 1 cm thick.
- Spread the onion marmalade on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Roll the dough up.
- Cut the roll into 12 slices and place on a greased baking sheet (30 x 20 cm). Paint the dough with the beaten eggs.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked.