Creamy chicken and honey sauce
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
It is the combination of evaporated milk, honey and oyster sauce that turns this recipe into a winner – the rest is mere window dressing and can be left out when camping.
- olive oil
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tin evaporated milk (or cream)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- black pepper, to taste
- soy sauce, to taste
- chilli flakes, to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (parsley and coriander leaves)
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a deep pan or pot. Fry the brown mushrooms and garlic for 1 – 2 minutes, then add chicken strips. Stir-fry for 4 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce and evaporated milk (or cream) and let it simmer until the sauce thickens. Add honey and season with black pepper and soy sauce.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle over chilli flakes and grated lemon peel. Serve with pancakes or pasta, or with a slice of fresh bread.