Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Make these delicious toasted sandwiches filled with oozing cheese sauce and biltong on the fire or in a pan. It’s also a proven hangover cure!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- ½ cup milk
- salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese (or parmesan or mature cheddar)
- 8 slices white farm bread, buttered on one side
- 16 fresh sage leaves (or basil)
- 2 handfuls thinly sliced moist biltong (or chopped dry biltong)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make a thick béchamel sauce (white sauce) by melting 2 tablespoons butter in a little pot. Add the flour and stir. After 2 minutes start adding the milk bit by bit, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming. Keep on stirring until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat, season and stir half the cheese and all the mustard into the sauce. Set aside.
- Divide the rest of the cheese, sage and biltong across the unbuttered sides of four slices of bread. Top with a spoonful or three of white sauce – not too much, otherwise you won’t be able to turn the sandwich. Top with the other slices of bread, buttered sides out.
- Heat the rest of the butter and oil in a pan and fry the sandwiches on both sides until golden brown and crisp.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over the sandwiches before tucking in, or serve with gherkins and homemade pickled onions.