Beetroot and Biltong Salad with Tortillas
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
I recently ate a salad topped with tortilla wedges grilled over the coals, and I liked the contrasting crisp texture. Ready-made tortillas, which are sold at most supermarkets, are convenient for a camping trip because they take up little space, you don’t have to keep them in the fridge and they’re versatile.
- 4–6 small wheat tortillas
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small whole beetroots, roasted in foil or cooked
- 2 handfuls thinly sliced moist biltong
- a soft, fragrant cheese like blue cheese, goat’s milk or feta
- baby spinach, rocket, watercress and/or other salad greens
- Grill the tortillas on a grid over hot coals until crisp. Set aside.
- Add onion, cumin and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and fry until the onion starts to brown. Set aside.
- Mix the rest of the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Peel and quarter the beetroot, and arrange on top of the salad greens. Add the cheese and biltong, and top with the onion mixture.
- When you’re ready to dish up, break the tortillas into pieces and serve them with the salad. Pass the dressing around.